Skip to content
- “Mind the Gap: Teaching the Integrated Essence of Hamilton” in Historians on “Hamilton,” ed. by Claire Potter and Renee Romano (forthcoming; New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2017)
- “A Teacher Struggles with What to Say to His Students about Trump Win,” The Washington Post, November 9, 2016.
- “Problems and Promises of the Self-Made Myth,” The Hedgehog Review 15.2 (Summer 2013)
- “With Lincoln, a New Frontier for Day-Lewis,” CNN online, February 23, 2013
- “How Six Oscar Winners Tell the Story of America,” The Washington Post, February 21, 2013.
- “Twilight’s Gleaming: The American Dream and the Ends of Republics,” in The American Dream in the 21st Century, edited by Sandra Hanson and John White (Temple University Press, 2011)
- “I’s a Man Now: Gender and African American Men, in Divided Houses: Gender and the Civil War (New York: Oxford University Press, 1992). [This piece has been anthologized a number of times.]